Eliot R. Kalter
Dr. Eliot R. Kalter brings thirty years of experience in the study and practice of global capital markets, with a focus on emerging market countries.
· Assessment of risk and identification of opportunities in EM countries
· Facilitate EM institutional and enterprise investments abroad
· Analyze new financing and restructuring requirements under International Monetary Fund financial programs
· Facilitate EM country relations with international financial organizations
Dr. Kalter also holds the position of Senior Fellow, Center for Emerging Market Enterprises (CEME) at the Fletcher School, Tufts University. His focus is on:
· EM local capital market and sovereign wealth fund public policy issues
Dr. Kalter retired from the International Monetary Fund in June 2007 as Assistant Director of the Capital Markets Department; prior to that he was Assistant Director of the Western Hemisphere Department. He began his career in 1976 as an economist at the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. His career at the International Monetary Fund started in 1979, with more recent responsibilities including heading up:
· Financial sector surveillance/advice: Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine, and South Africa
· IMF financial programs with Bolivia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Peru, and Nicaragua
· Represented IMF at the Paris Club for rescheduling official bilateral debt consistent with financing requirements under IMF financial programs
· Public Debt Managers’ Forum, bringing together international institutional investors and public debt managers from all principal EM countries
Education and Publications: Ph.D. (1978) and M.A. (1976) in International Finance from the
Outside activities and personal life: Executive board member and treasurer of The Mountain Institute; investment advisory board member of Counterpart International; advisor to the Grassroots Business Fund; treasurer of the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation; married and father of two sons.